Thursday, February 11, 2010

Is there a practical difference between indoor and outdoor paint?

I am about to paint an indoor room of my house. There is some outdoor paint on sale. Will it make a difference if I use the outdoor paint on the inside of the house?Is there a practical difference between indoor and outdoor paint?
Interior paint is formulated for: Scrubbability and stain resistance; Good hiding ability; Splatter resistance; Easy touch-up. Exterior paint is formulated for: Color retention; Resistance to fading; Flexibility to withstand expansion and contraction due to weather; To provide a mildew resistant coating; Resistance to tannin bleed. Don't think that you should use exterior paints indoors on the assumption that it is ';tougher';. In fact, some of the highest-grade exterior paints can be worse to use indoors than a lower-quality interior paint.





http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Int鈥?/a>





Go to Walmart and get their house brand. As long as you prime first, and buy a washable paint, it should be fine (and cheaper than brand names).Is there a practical difference between indoor and outdoor paint?
Not really. Since you are putting outdoor indoor, rather than indoor paint outdoors.


outdoor paint is just a bit ';tougher'; I guess i could say (this is simply from personal experience)


Be sure to ventilate well (or you might feel rather ';funny'; before you are done). and be far ore careful with things like dripping. If you get an oil base it will take gas to get it off you or what ever you spill it on. Unlike indoor where you can just use a damp rag as long as it's wet.


Good luck. To be sure I'd ask the person in the paint department.


Might want to make sure any kids or pets are not inside there with you as well ;)
I always use outdoor paint in my bath, it's mildew resistant. I've used indoor paint on my outdoor patio furniture. I pretty much use what ever paint I can find that's cheap. Good luck!
From the info you have given, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment