Sunday, February 21, 2010

Indoor latex painting with spray gun?

I have a 1/2hp spray gun system that I'm thinking about using to paint my living room. Is this overkill, will cause me more pain then use?





I was thinking that the alternative would be to buy a 50 buck airless paint sprayer and use that for all the trim work and then use a roller for bulk of the walls.





Problem is that there is a lot of crown molding etc that I can't get at will the roller and I don't want to spend days using a brush on it so I want some kind of power based alternative.Indoor latex painting with spray gun?
It will take more time to spray the room with an airless than it would to brush and roll.





Airless sprayers are good if you are in a new construction situation where there is not a lot of masking off. Even in a new construction situation, you wouldn't go to the airless unless you are going to spray 10 or 15 gallons of paint. The airless is a production tool for applying larger quantities of paint. Don't bother for the 3-4 gallons you will need for the living room.





Just so you are aware- you not only have to mask off for direct overspray - but indirect overspray. Atomized paint from an airless will float in the air and drift all over the house.





The $50 cup guns are also airless sprayers, not HVLP (high volume low pressure), and you will have similar overspray issues to deal with - with them also.





I would brush and roll the room.Indoor latex painting with spray gun?
Brush and roll only
Take the time and effort to do it right. You won't regret it.
If it was me I'd get an HVLP High Volume Low Pressure system, that's what I would use for crown molding, inside corners etc. You can get a good system for about half what you plan to spend but the little one I have is fine for use around the house.





The old fashioned (to me) high pressure systems allow too much overspray, wasting paint and are just a big mess to deal with.





Your idea to roll the bulk areas is a good one. Do NOT go cheap on brushes and rollers, the cheap stuff do a crummy job and gets paint all over the place.





Wrap your brushes, rollers and trays with saran wrap if you are going to use them again within a couple days, saving lots of time on cleanup.





I've also found the cloth type drop cloths to be the way to go as apposed to paper or plastic (easier to deal with and last a heck of a lot longer) when your through with them and drops have dried, fold them up and store for next time, you know there will be again. They come in handy for other things too like protecting areas or furniture when remodeling or moving. They don't take up that much room.

No comments:

Post a Comment